Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Caroline's baptism

Sunday was a special day for our family, Caroline was baptized. As Presbyterians we don't believe baptism is for salvation, but we do believe it is a sign of God's covenant with his people. (It is a little more complicated than that, but I won't go into all the theology.) Rylan was baptized when he was 6 weeks old, but it took us slightly longer with Caroline. We had to officially join our church first and we were finally able to do that this spring.
It was pretty nerve-wracking sitting on the front row of our church waiting for "our" part in the service. Rylan nearly poked his eye out with a pencil, then announced he had to go poop halfway through the service. Caroline alternated between kicking and arching to throw herself off my lap and screaming "daddy". Both kids behaved pretty well standing in front of church for the actual baptism and Caroline didn't even seem to mind being sprinkled. As stressful as it was to keep two kids under control, there was a moment where Charlton and I were able to breathe, look at each other and marvel at how we are blessed. I am so thankful God loves both our children even more than we do and that we can depend on Him to help us raise them.

Pastor Mark reads the questions before Caroline's baptism.

Pastor Mark baptizes Caroline.

Praying after the baptism. Thanks to my friend Tricia for taking these great pictures for us.

The wonderful big brother. He is telling me some exciting story, hence the animated hand gestures.

I couldn't get Caroline to smile for me this morning, but she would stand in front of my lilies for a quick picture.

Maybe she was thinking about the seriousness of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment