Friday, March 12, 2010

Too smart and sweet, too

Charlton and I were talking at dinner last night about a gift Grammy might be getting for Rylan, a P-I-A-N-O (keyboard). We thought we were being smart by spelling. Rylan immediately perked up.
"Are you talking about a piano?" he asked.
Charlton and I just stared at each other. We thought P-I-A-N-O spelled out does sound a lot like the word.
"Okay, Rylan." I decided on a test. "What is this word, C-O-O-K-I-E?"
"Cookie," he replied.
Charlton and I stared at each other again. How long has this kid been able to do this?
"What is this word, C-A-T?" Rylan is giggling now, because he likes all this attention from mom and dad. He says a few nonsense words and then ends with Cat.
We tried D-O-G, but the magic was over and Rylan was done showing off his skills. So maybe he isn't a 3-year old prodigy after all, but he is learning his letters and their sounds.
We were driving yesterday and he shouted, "BW." I was looking for a volkswagon unsuccessfully then realized he was pointing to some letters spray-painted on the curb on the side of the road.

We had a busy morning, running to BabiesRUs to get some new bibs, then to help clean our friend's house while she is in the hospital with a new baby. Won't that be nice for her to come home to a sparkling clean house? One of us moms watched the kids in the basement while the rest of us cleaned like crazy. It was amazing how much we accomplished in an hour of uninterrupted work.
Then we rewarded ourselves with lunch at Chick-Fil-A. It was super crowded and after several hectic moments of ordering our food, finding a table and high chair and getting two kids and all our stuff settled we could finally relax and eat. A few minutes later Rylan leaned over to me and patted my back, "Mommy, I love you. You are the best mommy of world!" So precious. I wish they would always be this easy to please!

No comments:

Post a Comment