Saturday, February 19, 2011

The linen print dress re-make

When I was younger, I had a favorite dress from Land's End. It was loose and comfortable and I loved the sweet spring time print on the linen fabric. It wasn't terribly stylish to begin with, but since I wasn't a fashion diva, that wasn't a problem for many years. Finally I parted with the dress, but couldn't bear to just give it away to Goodwill or someplace random, so I passed it along to a good friend I knew would wear and enjoy it.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Caroline and I ducked into the Salvation Army store before a Little Gym class and I spied THE dress! I am so sentimental, especially about certain clothes, so I just couldn't pass it up. I didn't know exactly what to do with it at the time, but knew I could figure out some way to use all that nice fabric with a little girl in the house. At only $3, it was also a steal!
I copied a jumper dress already in Caroline's closet and it turned out so cute. I think I will buy a pattern next time, because there were a few anxious moments with cutting all the pieces symmetrical. Thankfully you can fudge over some little mistakes with sewing.

Here is the finished dress.
I wanted to preserve the pintucks near the hemline.


Aren't these buttons adorable? I didn't find out until after I pulled them off the package that they are dry-clean only! On a dress for a 2-year old? Ooops. I think these will be going in the wash, very gently and if they don't last, I'll just replace them. Caroline was more excited about some ladybug buttons than these anyway.

I had enough fabric left over to make a matching tote lined with some coordinating left-over quilt fabric. Caroline was excited about her "petty purse."
I will try to get a picture of my little sweetie actually wearing the dress, and maybe with the tote also. We have been having some warmer weather here in Colorado, so hopefully we will have a chance to try it on soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment